Lagos Chapter of Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio was inaugurated at the Banquet Hall of Ikoyi Hotels, Lagos on November 25, 2000 in a grand ceremony which had Akparawa (Dr.) Okon J. Emah, then MMI President, in attendance and Senator Udoma Udo Udoma as Chairman of the occasion.
At the occasion, Akparawa (Dr) Uwemedimo Esiet was inaugurated as the Founding Chairman of the Lagos Chapter which had a 12-man Executive Council.
- Akparawa (Chief) Eshiet Ben Essien as Vice Chairman;
- Akparawa John Brown Essien as Secretary, Akparawa;
- (Barr) Imo Esiet as Assistant/Organising Secretary;
- Akparawa Effiong Edet as Treasurer;
- Akparawa Aniekeme Ekong as Financial Secretary;
- Akparawa(Deacon) Samuel Oson as Public Relations Officer;
- Akparawa Edwin Umoren(Welfare Officer);
- Akparawa Friday Udoessien(Provost);
- Akparawa-anwan Grace Ekanem as Women Leader
- Akparawa-anwan Eyiofe Ekah and
- Akparawa Joe Okure as ex-Officio members.
During the tenure of the Founding Chairman, Akparawa(Dr,) Uwemedimo Esiet, the chapter successfully organized several high profile events including public lectures, seminars and enlightenment campaigns all aimed at addressing various misinformation, biases, misconceptions and ignorance on a wide range of issues involving the Ibibio people.
Since the inauguration of the chapter, we have interacted with Ibibio and larger Akwa Ibom people through the following activities and out-reach programmes –
- Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio Lagos Micro Credit for Akwa Ibom Market Women in
Tejuosho Market, Yaba, Lagos.
- Facilitation of the Formation of Akwa Ibom State Clergy Forum launched
in 2001 at the National Stadium, Lagos and drawing together indigenes and multitudes of all Churches pastured by men and women of Akwa Ibom origin. This forum which has since grown is still in existence today.
- Workshop on Human Trafficking of Akwa Ibom Children. The workshop was attended by represntatives of Akwa Ibom State Government, UNICEF and various social groups from Akwa Ibom State.
- We have interacted with quite a number of Icons of our state through various fora such as Guest Lectures, Courtesy visits, Award Presentations.
Some past lectures are –
- Resource Control by Prof Eno Ikpe – Professor of History, UNILAG
- Ibibio State Union In Retrospect: Lessons For The Future was discussed by a panel
made up of Barr. ( Mrs) Dorothy Udeme Ufot; Engr. Akan Udi and Mr. R.M.
- Creating Wealth In Akwa Ibom State by Engr. Udohitinah of Federal Institute for Industrial Research, Oshodi, FIIRO
- Capital Market by Obong Nsimah Umoh
2004 – 2006
Akparawa(Chief) Eshiet Ben Essien, who took over as the second Chairman of the Lagos Chapter in 2004 successfully piloted the affairs of the Chapter, strengthening its membership base and deepening its institutional base.
Members of the Chapter’s Executive Committee included:
- Akparawa(Engr.) Anthony Udoekong as Vice Chairman
- Akparawa Aniekeme Ekong as Secretary;
- Akparawa(Barr) Imo I. Esiet as Financial Secretary;
- Akparawa John Essien as Assistant Secretary;
- Akparawa Dan Emene as Treasurer;
- Akparawa Bassey Udoidiong as Public Relations Officer;
- Akparawa Dennis J. Akpan as Welfare Officer;
- Akparawa(Prince) E. O.Etim as Provost;
- Akparawa-anwan Anna J. Akpan as Women Leader
- Akparawa(Major) Eyiofe Ekah as Auditor
2006 – 2010
On November 12, 2006, Akparawa(Chief) Eshiet B. Essien handed over to Akparawa(Engr.) Tony Udoekong in a smooth and peaceful transition process supervised by the MMI International Headquarters.
Other members elected into the Executive Committee were:
- Akparawa Ubon J. Akpan as Vice Chairman;
- Akparawa(Barr) Cletus O. Eyo-Udo as Secretary;
- Akparawa Asuquo Emmanuel Akpan as Assistant Secretary;
- Akparawa(Prince) E. O. Etim as Treasurer;
- Akparawa Aniekeme Ekong as Financial Secretary;
- Akparawa Nathaniel Bassey as Public Relations Officer
- Akparawa Imeh Jimmy as Auditor;
- Akparawa Cosmas Michael Etuk as Welfare Officer;
- Akpara-Anwan Margaret Etop Ibanga as Women Leader and
- Akparawa Dennis J. Akpan as Provost.
This tenure was characterized by an aggressive membership drive, further deepening of structures and strengthening of processes as well as strengthening of relationship with the International Headquarters of Mboho where Lagos Chapter had become much more visible at the centre than ever before. In 2010, the Chapter marked the 10th year of its inauguration with an Anniversary Luncheon and Lecture which saw Professor Udoma Mendie, now Head of Department of Pharmacy, College of Medicine, University of Lagos presenting a paper on the theme: Harnessing The Potentials Of Ethnic Nationalities For National Development.
This tenure saw the acquisition by Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio, Lagos of a landed property at the central business district of Ojuelegba, Surulere through negotiation and goodwill of our matriarchs, Nka Ikemesit Iban Ibibio
It is worthy of note that towards the end of the tenure of this Executive Committee, the MMI International, under a new leadership led by Akparawa Nse Ubeh, decided to further restructure the international structures of the organization worldwide. This led to the establishment of more MMI High Commissions including the South West, Nigeria/West Africa High Commission in 2010.
This resulted in the appointment of Akparawa(Engr.) Udoekong as Mboho’s High Commissioner to the South West, Nigeria/West Africa and Akparawa Ubon J. Akpan, the Chapter Vice Chairman was asked to complete that tenure as acting Chairman, Lagos Chapter.
In 2010, the Chapter held another election which led to the emergence of Akparawa Ubon Jimmy Akpan as substantive Chapter Chairman.
Other members of the Executive Committee were:
- Akparawa(Barr) Cletus O. Eyo-Udo as Vice Chairman;
- Akparawa-Anwan Gloria Umoh as Secretary;
- Akparawa Ini Brooks as Treasurer;
- Akparawa Henry Akpan as Financial Secretary;
- Akparawa Donatus J. Akpan as Assistant Secretary
- Akparawa Uwem Ankak as Public Relations Officer
- Akparawa Udo Ekwere as Welfare Officer;
- Akpara-Anwan Victoria Ubana as Women Leader and
- Akparawa Nathaniel Bassey as Provost.
- Akparawa Henry Okon as Auditor.
Later in 2013, and following the relocation of Akparawa Ini Brooks from Lagos, a by-election which produced Akparawa Aniedi Akpan as a Treasurer in place of Akparawa Ini Brooks was held.
The present leadership of the chapter is making strenuous efforts to continue to deepen MMI structures and processes and therefore plans to ensure the implementation of orientation programmes. It has, therefore, taken very seriously programmes that will ensure greater levels of interaction amongst members in Lagos and at home. This administration in continuation of efforts of its predecessor is working hard to develop the Chapter’s landed property at Ojuelegba where the chapter now holds her meetings and other activities under a temporary accommodation even as negotiations have reached advanced levels with a property developer to erect a permanent structure to be named Ibibio House in line with the spirits of our agreement with the donors.
Presently, the membership strength of the Lagos Chapter stands at about forty(40) active members. We are currently updating a membership data base listing present addresses – residential, office and e-mail addresses.
The Chapter meets at 3.00 pm on every fourth Sunday of the month at its permanent site located on Rufai Street, off Cole Street, behind Ecobank, Ojuelegba, Surulere, the property described above. However, for contact and correspondence purposes, the Chapter can be contacted through the Beam Media Group offices located on 2A Nnobi Street, Kilo, Ikate, Surulere, Lagos.
The Chapter Chairman, Akparawa Ubon J. Akpan can also be reached on 08056181097 and email@example.com while the Secretary, Akparawa- Anwan Gloria Umoh can be reached on 08033310506 and firstname.lastname@example.org.