A COMMUNIQUE FROM THE 41ST GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF MBOHO MKPARAWA IBIBIO
A COMMUNIQUE FROM THE 41ST GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF MBOHO MKPARAWA IBIBIO HELD ON SATURDAY, 10TH DECEMBER 2016 AT THE MBOHO MKPARAWA IBIBIO INTERNATIONAL SECRETARIAT/COMMUNITY CENTRE, UDO UDOMA AVENUE, UYO- AKWA IBOM STATE, NIGERIA
The 41st General Assembly was presided over by the International President of Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio Akparawa (Elder) Monday Etokakpan FCIL, JP. In attendance were Founding members, Past Presidents, members of the Board of Trustees, Advisory and International Executive Councils, Central Working Committee and members of Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio across Nigeria and in the Diaspora.
Issues and matters affecting Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio, Ibibio race, Akwa Ibom State and Nigeria were deliberated upon and resolutions adopted as follows:
- That Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio views the problem on the issue of Ibibio Traditional Status with a serious concern and condemns attempts to bastardize the Apex Traditional Institution in Ibibio Land by subjecting it to unnecessary political maneuverings for selfish reasons. Accordingly, Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio supports the presentation of Ifim Ibom Ibibio as the highest traditional Institution in Ibibio Land and OKU IBOM IBIBIO as the highest traditional stool in Ibibio race.
- That as a stakeholder in the Akwa Ibom project, Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio commends efforts of Akwa Ibom State Government at industrializing the State and calls for support of all to enable Government discharge on his promise to the people.
- That as the State Government progresses with several infrastructural projects across the state, indigenes and benefiting communities are urged to co-operate with the construction firms and other agents of Government to ensure that these projects are delivered on schedule for the benefit of the people. Mboho also urges the construction firms to keep to the quality and time schedules of their jobs.
- That despite appeals to Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company to provide pre-paid meters to consumers and stop arbitrary estimated bills, the electricity company is still charging very high monthly bills for electricity not based on meter reading with a very erratic and irregular electricity supply.
Accordingly, Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio calls on Federal Government and relevant agencies of government to intervene to ameliorate the suffering of the masses.
- That in order to move agriculture from peasant to commercial level for food sufficiency, Governments at the State and Federal levels are called upon to set up Co-operative mechanized farming to support massive and extensive farming for internal consumption and export.
- That though the State is relatively peaceful, the security agencies should continue to live up to their callings by ensuring that incidents of banditry within the keke transport operators, rape, car snatching and other crimes are brought under check and control, during and after the yuletide.
- That Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio commends the Governor of Akwa Ibom State His Excellency, Akparawa Udom Emmanuel for considering some of our members for appointments into the State Executive Council. Mboho congratulates them for their well-deserved appointments and enjoins them to team up with the Governor to ensure the delivery of dividends of democracy to the people. The General Assembly also appealed to His Excellency, the Governor to consider other members of Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio for appointment into Boards, Commissions and Agencies.
- That Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio commends the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency, Muhammadu Buhari, GCON for appointing Akwa Ibom indigenes into position at the Federal level, including our members, Akparawa Nsima Ekere as Managing Director of NDDC and Akparawa (Obong) Umana Okon Umana as Managing Director/CEO Oil and Gas Free Zone Authority, among others.
- Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio appreciates the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) for various Intervention jobs on road projects within Uyo Metropolis and urges the Commission to look into its several abandoned projects across the state with a view to completing the projects for the benefit of the people.
- The Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio thanks Mr President and the Transport Minister for recently signing the contract for the construction of Lagos–Uyo–Calabar Rail Line. The Mboho calls Mr President to approve the release of funds for the commencement of the construction work. The Mboho also calls on Mr President to award the contract for the construction of Aba–Ikot Ekpene Road and Ikot Ekpene-Umuahia Road.
- That the General Assembly observes that the present economic condition in the country has brought severe hardship to the masses. The Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio appeals to the Federal Government to please consider palliative measures to alleviate the suffering.
- That the Mboho Mkaprawa Ibibio during the General Assembly received with great shock the collapse of The Reigners’ Bible Church building along Uyo village road and the casualties arising therefrom. The Mboho sympathizes with His Excellency our dear Governor and the families who have lost their loved ones.
We pray God Almighty to grant a peaceful transition to the souls of the departed and the Holy Spirit to comfort His Excellency and all the families on this great and irreplaceable loss. To the wounded, the Mboho wishes them quick recovery.
DATED THIS 10TH DAY OF DECEMBER, 2016
Akparawa (Elder) Monday Etokakpan, JP, FCIL Akparawa James Edet, NPOM
International President International Secretary General